325th Glider Infantry Regiment
C Company, 1st Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division
The Shield:

The overall design is that of a white shield. The blue and white colors represent Infantry. The Temple from the Georgia coat of arms was superimposed on a blue background of the 82nd Divisional shoulder patch. This signifies the regiment was organized, trained, and returned to Camp Gordon, Georgia after WWI. The lower half of the shield was emblazoned with the cross of Lorraine referring to the regiments’ participation in the Argonne, St. Mihiel, and Lorraine sectors during WWI. The Azure band laterally bisecting the temple from the cross is indicative of the Mire River astride with the regiments advance from October 10-17, 1918. Below is the motto: Lets Go.

Unit History:

The 325th was first activated on August 4, 1917 at Camp Gordon Georgia. On May 18, 1918 the regiment arrived in Liverpool, England and later that month found itself in Escarbot, France.

The 325th was the first unit of the 82nd Infantry Division to make contact with the enemy. The Falcons, as they were called, participated in the Argonne, St. Mihiel, and Lorraine sectors. After serving with honor the regiment was deactivated in 1919.
On March 25, 1942 the regiment was reactivated at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana. On October 31, 1942 they officially became the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment.

Unit Campaigns:

Central Europe

Unit Honors:

Distinguished Unit Citation-St. Mere Eglise
Combat Infantry Streamer
Croix de Guerre with Palm- St. Mere Eglise
Croix de Guerre with Palm-Cotentin
Belgian Croix de Guerre-Ardennes
Belgian Croix de Guerre-Germany
Dutch Orange Lanyard-Nijmegen

Unit Causalities: 748 total
Before Battle-13 men died when a C-47 crashed into the Atlas Mountains on 6 Jun 43.
Battle of the Bulge-205

C Company, 1/325 GIR, 82nd AB North Africa, Sicily, Naples, Foggis.

Divisional Commander: General Matthew Ridgeway
Regimental Commander: Colonel Harry L. Lewis
Battalion Commander: Lt. Colonel Klemm Boyd
Company Commander: Captain Dave R. Stokely

The 325th landed in North Africa at Casablanca on May 10, 1943. They were a good distance from the front lines and saw no action, but the living conditions were terrible. On May 14, they moved to Camp Marnia near Oujda (Algeria). Here they would train for battle. Beginning on June 19, the 325 moved toward Camp El Alen near Kairouan (Tunisia), arriving on June 23.

During this time the regiment was brief on Operation Husky I, II set for July 9th and 11th. On July 9th and 10th the 505th PIR and 3rd Bn. 504th PIR made their jump. On July 11th and 12th the rest of the 504th PIR made their jump, but the group was hammered by friendly fire and suffered tremendous causalities. The 325th was scheduled to go in by Glider, but the mission was cancelled.

In August, plans were set for an airborne mission around the airfield near Rome. The date of the mission was September 8, 1943, but it was cancelled minutes before the planes were set to take off.

The 325th was soon to enter combat. On September 13 the 1st and 2nd Battalions left Licata Harbor in nine LCI’s headed for the Sorrento Peninsula. Despite Luftwaffe attacks the 325th reached the Northern edge of the Salerno beachhead on September 15th. On September 16th, the 325 were attached to the 5th Army. G Company boarded LCI’s and headed to Ischia and then Maiori. E Company took up positions on Mount San Angelo Di Cava and F Company was on Mount Chiunzi.

Between September 17-20th E and F Companies held their ground. I Company took up a position Northeast of Albanella in support of the 504th. E Company suffered many hours of counter attacks on September 20th, but held despite being low on supplies. On September 21st the 1st Bn. Was ferried to Maiori to relieve the 2nd Bn.
On October 1, 1943 the 82nd AB Division entered Naples for Occupational and Police Duties. The men were confronted with booby traps left by the Germans and a number of air attacks. By the end of November the men boarded the Troopship O’Hara and set off for Northern Ireland. About noon on December 9, 1943 the ship docked.

Honor Roll:

The 325th GIR lost 20 men during this time period.

C Company, Pvt. Frank Browsky. Died October 4, 1943 at a hospital in Tunisia from wounds received on Salerno.

C Company, 1/325 GIR, 82nd AB Normandy

Divisional Commander: General Matthew Ridgeway
Regimental Commander: Colonel Harry L. Lewis
Battalion Commander: Lt. Colonel Klemm Boyd wounded on 6/7/44. Replaced by Major Teddy H. Sanford
Company Commander: Captain Dave R. Stokely Wounded on 6/9/44 and taken POW. Replaced by Captain Wayne W. Pierce

On June 7, 1944 the first serial of Gliders left Ramsbury Field. Companies A, B, and C 1st Bn. Were on 15 Horsa gliders, while the 1st Bn. HQ took up 28 Waco Gliders with heavy weapons and ammunition. The Regimental HQ took up 50 Waco Gliders.

The first serial landed near St. Marie Du Mont around 0700 hours. About 10 minutes later the second serial landed near St. Mere Eglise. Most of the men survived the landing and were able to secure their gear. The third and fourth serials landed at LZ W at about 0750 hours. These serials were comprised of the 2nd Bn. 325th and 2nd Bn. 401st (3rd Bn. 325th).

The 1st Bn. Was charged with crossing the Merderet Valley near La Fiere Bridge and advance towards Timmes Orchard and Gray Castle at Amfreville. C Company was to cross through the flooded area. A Company would follow and force their way to Le Motey and B Company would take the left and advance to Cauyuigy.

At 0600 hours on June 9th the attack began. The men met fierce resistance and suffered heavy causalities. However, by 0900 hours the men closed in on the orchard.

The period of June 14-16th saw the men on line moving towards St. Sauveur Le Vicomte, which they had cleared by June 19th.

The last attack for the 325th came in July 1944. On July 3rd the men captured La Haye du Puits and the crossroads. On July 5th the Village of La Poterie was taken, but fierce counter attacks took place. There were limited attacks on the 6th and 7th despite being short of men.

On July 11th the men headed back to Utah beach. The crossed the Channel on the 12th and by the 14th they were at Camp March Hare in Scraptoft Leicester.

Honor Roll:

The 325th GIR lost 280 men in Normandy.

C Company Lost
Pvt. Cruz Amaya on June 9
Pvt. Raymond H. Banks on June 14
Cpl. Charles Blank on June 9
Sgt. John Boring Jr. on June 9
S/Sgt. Emmett L. Burger on June 9
Pfc. Charles Calcaterra on June 22
Pfc. Charles N. De Glopper on June 9. He received the Congressional Metal of Honor for his actions. To read more about him please visit the Tribute page.
2 Lt. Robert L. Ferguson on July 4
Pfc. Jesse W. Fullerton on June 9
T/5 Clement L Gillio on June 9
1 Lt. Buester J. Johnston on June 9
Pfc. Walter Kelsall on June 9
1 Lt. Bonnie L. Langnels on June 9
S/Sgt. Sam Marinos on June 7
Pvt. Augustine C. Mondello on June 9
Pfc. Robert K. Mullins on June 10
Pvt. George T. O’Niel on June 9
Sgt. Stanley Pavlok on June 14
Pfc. Harvey T. Perdieu on June 9
Pfc. Tully D. Ratledge on June 21
Pfc. Mercero Rodriquez on June 9
Pfc. Hurbert A Saastamoinen on July 3
Pfc. Aaron Tonkin on June 9
Pfc. Carl “Coonie” Williams on June 9
T/4 Nathan H. Young on June 9

C Company, 1/325 GIR, 82nd AB Holland

Divisional Commander: General Matthew Ridgeway
Regimental Commander: Colonel Charles F. Billingslea took command on August 31, 1944.
Battalion Commander: Major Teddy H. Sanford
Company Commander: Captain Wayne W. Pierce

From September 19th to 22nd the weather had prevented the 325th from taking off with their gliders. 400 plus gliders were to take off on D +2 and land near Groesbeek. However on the morning of the 19th General Gavin had decided that the gliders would land on LZ O near Overasselt on the North bank of the Maas River.

On September 23, 1944 194 men of C Company left Fulbeck in Chalk R-41 and R-55. Their landing went smoothly and the night was spent in the dense forest North of Groesbeek. On September 24 the 325th took relieved the 2/505th PIR in position along the Maas-Waal Canal. They were to protect the Heumen Lock Bridge.

Between September 27th and 30th the 325th was involved in the Battle for Kiekberg Forest. The area was full of steep hills and valleys. By the 30th half of the forest had been cleared. However, the men were order to retreat. The Dutch underground had informed General Gavin that a main attack would occur that night. The night was pure hell. The 325th held their ground against the German 190th “Hammer” Division.

On October 2, the 325th attacked the Mook plains until they reached the hamlet at Katerbosch. The fog that had concealed them was lifting and they were in the open without cover. Heavy losses ensued. The men dug in and were in the area for several days.

Eventually the men ended up at Wylerbaan Road northeast of Groesbeek. Here they rotated from the front line to reserve. During this time the men had to put up with the fog, rain, mud, mortar, and artillery attacks.

The 325th departed for Camp Sissone, France on November 11, 1944. They had lost 217 men.

Honor Roll:

C Company lost

Pvt. Walter Ababurko on 10/21
Pvt. Clyde Ballew on 10/2
Cpl. George K. Black on 10/2 MIA after leaving foxhole to help a wounded comrade.
Pvt. James E. Burns on 10/2
2 Lt. Steve Chiveris on 10/2
Pfc. Ralf A. Daniel on 10/7
Pvt. Johnathan A. Derek on 10/2
Pvt. Herman Ezernack on 10/2
Pvt. Anthony Oliveri on 10/2
1 Lt. Allen E. Smith on 10/2
Pvt. Arthur A. Solieri on 10/2
Sgt. Alva Spanks on 10/2
TSgt. Joseph M. Sungaila on 10/2
Sgt. Howard J. Ulenburg on 10/2
Pfc. Lawrence T. Whitehair on 10/2

C Company, 1/325 GIR, 82nd AB Battle of the Bulge

Divisional Commander: General Matthew Ridgeway
Regimental Commander: Colonel Charles F. Billingslea
Battalion Commander: Major Richard E. Gerard
Company Commander: Captain Wayne W. Pierce

On December 18, 1944 the 325th arrived near Bastogne on 40-foot trailer trucks. They were sent on towards Werbomont. Prior to daylight on the 19th the 1st Bn. Set up a Divisional CP defense.

Between December 20th and 22nd the men were shuttled by truck along a ridge between Grand Sart and Fraiture. 1st Bn. Headed into Grand Sart with a tank unit. On Christmas Eve the men were ordered to withdraw 7 miles to set a new MLR from Trois Poits to Vaux Chavanne. The holding force left in place to cover the withdrawal pulled back at 0200 hours Christmas day. That night it began to snow.

On Christmas day, 1st Bn. Moved to Vaux Chavanne. C Company sent “tail end Company”, a squad to serve as rear guard for the column. They did not pull out until after the bridges were blown. By first light the 325th was on their new line. The 1st Bn. Repulsed an attack on December 26th and the 325th received 370 replacements on the 27th.

By New Years, the 1st Bn. was relieved by the 7th Armored Division. The 1st was put on a new line with the 504th PIR. On January 1st the 1st Bn. Would serve as reserves for an attack to reclaim the area they had left on Christmas Eve. Between the 4th and 6th the 1st Bn. had taken La Chapelle and pushed toward the high ground near Abrefontaine. Then they continued on to the villages of Menil, Brux, and Gerne Champs.

The men were relieved by the 75th Infantry Division and sent near Pepinster for a rest period. On January 26th they were trucked to Vielsalm then onto Born Village. On January 28th the men began, in deep snow at 0600 hours to push along the German border from Born to Wereth.

On February 1st the men attacked 3 miles into Germany to capture Neuhof and Undenbreth. 3rd Platoon of C Company found the pillboxes of the Siegfried line to be occupied. The next day the men began their attack at 0430 hours. They achieved their goals and held the ground but suffered high loses.

The 325th was then moved to trucks to Schmidthof for a mission to cross the Roer River. After taking up positions along the river the mission was cancelled. The men continued to hold the line and in March they moved back to Camp Sissone.

Around 1800 hours on April 2, 1945 the 325th entered Cologne and took up positions along the Rhine River. Here they sent patrols across the river and received mortar barrages. By April 26th the men were in Germany. On April 30th the men were in position on the Elbe River near Bleckede. On May 2nd the 1st Bn. Advanced to Lubtheen, 20 miles west of Ludwigslust. Shortly thereafter the Wobbelin Concentration Camp was discovered.
During June 1945 the 325th was back in Camp Sissone, France. By mid June they were in Epinal and the high pointers were transferred out. On July 14th the men participated in a parade at Luneville. The unit was eventually transferred to Marseille and boarded the USS Wakefield.

On September 14, 1945 the 325th was home at Boston Harbor. They had lost 218 men since Belgium.

Honor Roll:

C Company lost

Pfc. William R. Holesapple on 12/26
Sgt. Robert C. Jones on 12/26
Pfc. James P. Samoin on 12/26
Pvt. Anthony M. Starec on 2/1/45
Pfc. Francis R. Townsend on 12/26